Monday, October 21, 2019

The Greatest Great Grandfather

Have you ever heard of Malcolm Dewitt Jr? Probably not but he was a popular man in Charleston! My Great Grandfather's name is Malcolm Sanders DeWitt Jr., he is a native of Charleston and was born on November 25, 1912. He was the son of Malcolm Sanders Dewitt, one of seven siblings, and attended schools in the Charleston County School District. Like many people during this time, my great grandfather did not graduate high school.

My great grandfather was a local professional boxer in Charleston and his son (my maternal grandfather) followed in his foot steps and is now in the boxing Hall of Fame at the University of South Carolina. After his boxing career ended, my great grandfather became a fireman and later in his career became the Battalion Chief at the Charleston Fire Department.  He married Leona Edwards, another Charleston native, and had four sons with her.

My great grandfather in uniform at the fire station.
My great grandfather was also popular for selling fish. He caught the fish with his bare hands and he coined the nickname "Fish." Many of his colleagues would call him this as well as his friends and family.

I was unable to find the gravestone of my great grandfather but I know he died on June 19,1995 and is buried at Plantation Memorial Cemetery in Summerville, South Carolina. I used Ancestory.com as a source for this project but my grandmother was also a huge help as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment